Monday, December 26, 2016

Book Report

I've been reading a little, but mostly looking at pictures.  So here are my notes on some good tomes to curl up with this winter.  Also remember your public library--you might be surprised, but the tax dollars keep going there even though most of us don't.  But most have design books!



Parish Hadley Tree of Life


This was hard to put down.  All of the alumni of Parrish Hadley write about their experiences, which is published surrounded by their own designs.  Genius!  Its like a short story collection.  And while I thought I knew plenty about the firm's history, I definitely learned a ton.  The eye candy is no joke either--it is really amazing to see how well good design aged.



Not what my 80s looked like....


This one is both educational and enjoyable.

A House in the Country




I think we all remember the AD coverage of Katie Ridder and Peter Pennoyer's country house.  I mean, that atrium?  Best. Skylight. Ever.




The beginning is a little more about them working together which was both sweet and not what I was looking for off the bat.  But it reads well overall, and it is interesting to think about the possibilities of collaboration (says a control freak).  The garden is pretty amazing, too.



Katie Ridder and I share a love of color and pattern, so it is no surprise this is one I plan to reference often.  Because in my plans I'm out of touch with reality and forget that time and money are the problem not a lack of ready color schemes and fabric picks.




If you like this one, I do recommend Katie Ridder's last book, Rooms too.  And now I know I'd totally hire Peter Pennoyer if I could afford it.  He is dead on--Greek Revival is an under-appreciated style.




Beautiful

For me, this was the "should have checked it out" buy.  I love Mark's blog, and it is hard to find fault with his level of taste.  But its hard for me to take away a lot of lessons. I do seek out books that are not quite me but that I feel will stretch my design sensibilities, but I'm not sure this was it.  That said, it is a solid tome of eye candy.





For me, I'm not sure you want to do this look unless you have a shit ton of money.  Because if you piece it together with Ballard and Potterybarn it will not be pretty.  Your upholstery better be on fleek, and you should be punctuating the space with some heavy antiques.  Like a-year-in-state-school-at- least antiques.



It is both more approachable but less "me" than Suzanne Kasler's work....which seems like a good topic to discuss in therapy.  But for those who are way too afraid of color to dive into A House in the Country, this may be exactly what you need to inject some boho-free California vibes into your library.  And a deeper study may teach you how to avoid looking liking a pottery barn catalouge while wrapping yourself in neutrals. It's all in the details and layering of finishes.

Next on my reading list:
the new Domino and Cecil Beaton at Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment