Thursday, December 22, 2016

Last minute baking


So, how 'bought some cookie talk?   Here were my cheats--



Trade Joe's Ginger Molasses Cookies.  They come out nice and large, and I rolled them in melted white chocolate and sprinkles.  Literally.  Melted the chocolate in small batches on a paper plate.  I'm loving the new Ghiradelli's melts.  They actually taste good.  Gingerbread is an acquired taste, and I find most people (and kids) really just want ginger molasses cookies vs. real gingerbread cookies.  Which is cool.



Sprinkle Sugar Cookies.  I've made these a lot.  Betty Crocker sugar cookies mix--standard prep.  Take your ball of dough and roll it in sprinkles.  You can also roll it in coconut, brown sugar and chopped pecans, sanding sugar....adjust based on your audience.  These were sprinkle people, and I respect that.  We used a custom mix, and some Sweetapolita Whoville sprinkles.  I'll try to add some more pics, but they are not transferring right now and its almost bedtime.  So check back if you are confused or don't believe me.




Peppermint White Chocolate Oreos.  I love a chocolate covered Oreo.  I did them in gold glitter for the Circus Party. Typically, I use a double stuffed Oreo on a long lollipop stick.  However, for this party I knew I didn't want the long sticks based on my buffet setup, but the stick makes the chocolate covering much easier (dip it).  So you can imagine how happy I was to see that white chocolate covered Oreos were at Meier.  This elusive cookie is only out in the winter; if you have the will power, you should hoard some.  Shelf stable and easy to style.  I dipped the tops of the already coated cookie in some melted white chocolate and sprinkled with crushed peppermint.  They looked pretty cute, and a chocolate covered Oreo never tastes too bad.

Homemade--



I used the Pioneer Woman's gingerbread recipe.  It was pretty good, definitely classic, but got a little bit hard quickly (despite following her tip of making thicker cookies, wrapping them, etc.).  But it was a gingerbread party so I needed some gingerbread, and I don't really expect kids to like the gingerbread so I wasn't too upset that they were more looks than taste.  It was a good amount of dough, though, and out of the oven it was delish.


Cake.
I had a few firedrills at work that week, so we ended up with a mix.  I really like the Immaculate Baking Company--it is just the pre-mixed dry ingredients.  Still need your soft butter and eggs.  The filling was supposed to be whipped ganache, but I wasn't paying attention and didn't let the ganache set up before I started whipping it.....so we just made it into a buttercream.  So I don't have a recipe for you.  But for the pink buttercream, this is the ratio I remember using:  You never know how much sugar I inhaled (the new mixer was a little difficult), so adjust until it seems right.

  • 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups butter, at room temperature
  • 3 tablespoons whole milk
  • healthy dash of flavoring extract (we used vanilla)
  • pinch of salt
I made 2 batches....1.5 may have been enough.  Remember to keep it at room temp for spreading, and don't forget to do a crumb coat first.  There is no rushing a proper cake.  It reminds you why we all love cupcakes these days.

Anyhoo, happy baking my pretties!




**Gingerbread party pics from Lumatic Imagery.

No comments:

Post a Comment