Thursday, September 4, 2014

Titanes Planetarios: Part 2


So, I realized after (right before?) hitting publish on Sunday night that one of the reasons I write this here blog is to proselytize about my random, often fleeting, obsessions.  And I did not really pitch weird comic books very hard in the last post, mostly out of laziness...stemming from technical ineptitude.  Maybe someone was crying--it all blurs together these days.

But I can not have that stand.  Plus I got a question or two.  So here is how I search for graphic goodness.  And search you should--they pack the same graphic punch as the classic, vintage movie posters but aren't over done.  And many are kinda hilarious.

So obscure, Silver Age comics are your best friend.  Once 1970 hit, most got pretty ugly.  One good search is "Dell Comics."  "Golden Key" is another good one, but it is also responsible for some of the big series so don't be thrown by some of the dollar amounts :)
  
here



here


here

And always check the sidebar...you find gems like the below.  The Sci-Fi stuff is the most interesting, I think.  Or really just the funniest.

here

 One of my favorite comics (visually--I've never read any of these) is Challengers of the Unknown.  Pretty much every cover is a bat shit goldmine.  And they wear purple jumpsuits.

here

here
I also have a soft spot for untimely political satire.  I actually own and have read this gem.



Finally, check foreign vintage stuff.  I found Titanes Planetarios because I was looking at old Adam Strange comics (they are solid, but a little pricey), but you can cut to the chase with a "X vintage comic".  If you can afford an old Wonder Woman in English, good for you.  Often the foreign reprints are not as old (10 yrs later), and are less desirable.  Plus its foreign, so you'll seem cooler. 

here

here





No comments:

Post a Comment