Thursday, April 10, 2014

Weekly devotional: 4.10.14

design by Lauren Leiss

To those of you (ahem, Mari) looking at natural fiber rugs, check out Lauren Leiss's loft reno (its seagrass).  PS--She did a great post years ago on the differences b/w the various natural fiber rugs that I think is a great resource.  

More interior eye candy from Desire to Inspire.
via Desire to Inspire

I saw the Grand Budapest Hotel a week or two ago--it was really good.  Elements of Style had a nice post with screen shots and decorating editorial, so I won't reinvent the wheel--suffice it to say, the visuals are what we have come to expect, with excellent palettes and excruciating detail.  Luckily, someone crazier than me has a tumblr devoted to Mr. Anderson's palettes.  
via WesAndersonPalettes

via WesAndersonPalettes


Paper flower update:  there is an online class from the crafty blogger behind The House that Lars Built.


Did you know Easter is coming up?  If not, get your ass to a grocery store and stop eating so much carryout--Easter crap is everywhere (while you are there, grab some Cadbury MiniEggs...so good). For egg dying, I'm going old school and trying out the McCormick food coloring recipes.  

When I was little, we did a big batch of eggs with red food coloring once, for an egg hunt, and they were super intense.  And I had forgotten about it for years, swayed by the persuasive Paas marketing, until I saw it on Not Martha, here (where did Not Martha go, btw?  She was crazy intense....), which includes formulas for pretty color mixes (outside the box of four colors).  McCormick is all over the color mixes, too.
via
This was the best subject line in my inbox all week.


That's a food and beverage update via SupplyDemandChain e-magazine, which I subscribe to.  Yeah, my job is awesomely exciting (said no one ever).  But...Who knew?  Congrats to those of you who stock pile bacon--just a few days ago I would have said you were crazy.  And if you are a baby pig, good luck.

Random:  this balloon is awesome.  Here is a tutorial for confetti balloons, although they don't look quite as good.....
via


You might not know this about me, but I'm a little obsessed with 3D printing.  A new, portable, in-home version is the subject of a kickstarter campaign.  It comes with easy to use software, or so they say...


Would I have time to use this?  I don't even have time to justify a silhouette machine.  But at $299, it seems like an easy investment in the future.


So, I know I mentioned the Robert Indiana show on Monday but I have an update:  they have a cute program/app that lets you make an Autoportrait a la Indiana.  They give a little explanation if you weren't familiar with Indiana's use of symbolism (don't skip the intro--it is very short--unless you are a Robert Indiana expert or something) and then asks for some information from you (favorite numbers, hobbies, places, etc.) and spits out an "Autoportrait."  A chic "free printable", if you will....although I found it really hard to figure out what numbers, names, etc. have importance to me (It's like Whitney English all over again).

4 comments:

  1. I am not getting my emails- I just looked for you this week. So glad I did. Love the 3-D machine. Not sure why- maybe because I can't believe it is real!
    YEAH for Easter Eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you looked me up :) Let me know how you signed up, and I'll see if I can fix the issue.

      Delete
  2. The McCormick dye colors rock - so much more fun to find those eggs on a hunt than the pale Paas ones. Love the confetti balloon and when i clicked through, i had to check out her sprinkles-themed birthday party. I'm glad to see someone else who fully appreciates the timeless value of the SPRINKLES !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sprinkles are lovely--the girls would eat them on oatmeal if I let them. I'll post a pic of our egg attempts next week :)

      Delete